Saturday, August 23, 2008

Culture

Today after dinner, my sister asked me if I could go to the market for her.
"Alone?" I asked
"Yes."
So she gave me a bag to put the groceries in (you don't get free plastic bags here), some money, and the key to the gate at the emnd of the driveway and told me what to get. 20 small mushrooms, two red bell peppers, and a large bag of Lays Sour Cream and Onion chips.
So I walked down the street to "Max Market," which I had only seen, never been in and went inside. It was about the size of the grocery section in a gas station. I walked up and down it for a while and found the peppers. Then I found the chips, but they were small bags. I decided to settle. I probably should have bought two though. I never found the mushrooms and I didn't have my dictionary so I couldn't ask if they had any.
When I payed, the woman at the check-out kept on saying things to me I didn't understand. I only smiled at the ridiculousness of the situtation. When she finally gave me my ticket, i told her thank you in Polish.
I returned home with 2 peppers and 1 small bag of chips. I told my sister I could go back with the dictionary but she said it was okay.
That was a very different experience.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I bet you go to the store without your little yellow book anymore! Did you help make the cakes in the pictures on Facebook? Were they made for the Harvest Festival?

Hannah said...

No, I watched. And it's the same cake.
I don't know why she made it...