Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I'm sorry I haven't written sooner, but internet isn't free in Munich and my laptop does not get internet, so I have to borrrow my family's computer.
I am in Poland now, its it's 9 something pm.
Meals are different . Yesterday I had pasta with mushrooms and maybe chicken, or rabbit, I'm not sure actually. Today I had potatoes with a pasta-type sauce for lunch, and for supper we had "gourd cakes" or something. My mom grated gourds then mixed them with flour, eggs, and onions (which I chopped and helped pick from the garden) and made a batter. Then she fried it into patties like potatoe cakes. It was good. However, the drink served with them, "Kefir" I think, was not. It is liquid sour cream. I prefer to stick to my mom's homemade compote that uses fruits fresh from the garden. In fact, all of the fruits and veggies so far have come from the amazing garden. I like my family very much. My dad is in Sweden, so I haven't met him. My mom speaks no English, so communication is limited there. Angnieska(sp?)(my sister) speaks it well, more so than she realizes. Today she took me walking. She just randomly asked me, "Do you want to go to the forest?" Of course I said yes. We went through some fields and and woods and picked blackberries! Blackberries are in season here! We went through the village too. All the houses are large and have red tile roofs and lots of bright flowers. There is a flower garden out back that is beautiful, it even has a fountain and koi pond. Sunday is also the "Harvest Festival." I am looking foward to that.
Last night was no doubt the hardest night of my life. It was so hard. Once the sun came up though, I felt so much better. Now I am stable, but I cannot explain how terrorifying it was to see the reality of what I've gotten myself into. This is a big deal.
Monday, I am going to see my school. I am excited about that! I may miss some school though if my Rotary lets me go to language camp, which I need really really bad. Polish is really really hard.
Much love, Hannah
pictures are at: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2006925&l=19ca9&id=1193123204

6 comments:

Dea Moore said...

I am not believing you have already gotten to pick berries in the forest. And you have a garden to be in and a kitten to pet!!

Yes, as you said, this is big but you have what it takes and more.

Have fun at the Harvest Festival.
Love you, Aunt Dea

Anonymous said...

God really knew what He was doing when He placed you in your new home. It's almost to perfect, almost to customized. I'm excited that you are settling in to their schedules and your environment.

If it's any comfort, at the time when you are laying in bed missing familiarity, we are all awake thinking and praying for you.

Love you so much!
Annie

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update and the pictures. It is a great comfort to me know that you are in the midst of people who love the things you love. Everyone has been asking how you. Word spreads. I got an email from Mrs. Lydia today. She promised to pray often. How ironic your bed is a couch - you must feel right at home - ha! - Love you, Mom

Hannah said...

thanks both of you

Aunt Jean said...

Hannah, I so proud of you. I was bragging to the ladies I had lunch with today about how brave and smart you are. Take advantage of all your experiences for us and we will be able to share your adventure through you. I love you!!

Aunt Jean

Hannah said...

Wow Mom, I didn't even realize that part about the bed until you mentioned it.
Love you, and love you too Aunt Jean!